Wednesday, April 9, 2014


I read an article on making U.S. currency distinguishable to the blind. I think that it is an interesting problem, which will probably lead to some interesting solutions. The article discussed several different ideas such as making the bills different sizes, using raised ink, or putting a mark on the bills to let the blind know what the amount is. The current U.S. bills have none of these features making it impossible to tell what anything is. This means that blind citizens are relying on good faith that they aren’t getting taken advantage of when making transactions.  Unfortunately the treasury department thinks that it would cost too much to redesign all the money to make it distinguishable. This seems a little absurd because the treasury just redesigned the $10, $20, and $100 over a span of a few years. The irony being it would have actually cost less to change the bills during the original redesign than to go back and change them all now. Personally I think changing the sizes of all the bills is a good idea. That way the treasury can keep using the same paper, which seems to hold up rather well for paper. I also think that it would not hurt to raise some of the bill denominations ink to make it more distinguishable from other bills. As it stands now though it appears the treasury is going to fight what can only be assumed as an inevitable transition to universally distinguishably bills all the way to the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment