Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chapter nineteen was about writing with style. One of the main points was writing concisely. I found this interesting because it seems like my entire life my English teachers have been giving length requirements forcing student to have to fluff up their papers to meet the demands. In fact I remember days spent in English class learning about how to fluff up paper to meet these requirement, learning how to re-arrange words and phrases to make them longer by using over complicated words. Ironically the teachers justified those lesson plans by saying it is a skill that will be necessary for college English classes. Now this section runs entirely against everything that twelve years of English classes has been teaching. The funny thing is I actually prefer writing concisely as opposed to fluffing up a paper to meet a requirement, even though it is entirely counterintuitive to what I have been told. Another interesting section from that chapter is the part on assuming gender roles when using nouns. The book says not to use pronouns like he or him when describing a noun. This is because it can come off as sexist to the reader because the writer is assuming that the role of whatever the noun is would be fulfilled by a male as opposed to a female. At the same time that works both ways if the writer were to carelessly use she or her when describing a noun. I just found that section interesting because it really highlights the undertone of a message by using pronouns.

No comments:

Post a Comment