This week I watched a video about a robot playing Ping Pong
against a former number one world ranking player. A robotics company in china
built a robotic arm that stands 901 mm tall that has been deemed the fastest
robot on the planet. To test this claim the robotics company, KUKA, brought in
table tennis legend Timo Boll to challenge the machine. The game only lasts
about three minutes, but they were probably the most intense three minutes in
the history of table tennis. To start the robot gains a heavy lead on Timo by
winning six points. Then Timo makes a comeback. After a neck and neck race to
ten Timo wins by one point. I think this was an interesting experiment to
conduct, seeing if the robot was faster than a human, but it raising an
interesting question. What does a robot that can move faster than a human mean
for the future? I don’t mean this in a terminator “take over the world” kind of
way but economically speaking people are already loosing jobs to machines so
why should people continue to improve them. For instance the ping pong robot
itself was probably built by machines. I think there should come a point where
we stop improving designs on machines meant to build more machines but instead
improve designs on objects meant to improve humanity. Imagine if all the
brainpower used to build the robot that was being used to play ping pong was
used to build a safer car, or create a more efficient airplane, or perhaps more
effective medical equipment? Keep in mind I know the ping pong robot has more
practical uses than just playing a game but time spent on creating something to
take jobs should have been spent on improving the quality of life for humans in
my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment