Wednesday, February 12, 2014

On Monday I read an article about social networking and its affect of productivity in schools. The article was written by Laura Lefkowits, who brought up some pretty interesting points on the topic.  She mentioned that this new culture built around social media can benefit the student body in many ways. It was brought up that when social media has a clear purpose it can be used to accomplish tasks that normally could not be done by one single individual. Tasks like combines the physical world, things like textbooks and other learning tools, with the intangible part of learning such as community, and parental involvement. Ultimately Lefkowits said that social networking in schools is the future but right now the world just is not ready for it yet.    

Personally I do not see how that is a place for social networking in education. Its like when computers originally got combined with education. Yes computers are a valuable tool for learning, but at the same time when a student is in class with a computer in front of him or her there is always the temptation to play games, watch videos, and of course get on social media sites. In the case of social networking in education I think the bad definably outweighs the good sine the point is to stay connected with friends and other leisurely activities. Basically what I am trying to say is that in the case of social media and education this might be one of those things that is better kept separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment